Two Urgent Surgeries Save a Young Man from almost Inevitable Disability

Thursday, June 9th, 2016

A young man of Syrian nationality underwent two urgent and simultaneous surgeries following an unfortunate car accident, which caused a sudden blow to the car windshield and subsequent expulsion of the driver out of it. This impact caused severe injuries to the man’s spine within the second lumbar vertebrae, penetration of a small piece of glass in the spinal column, in addition to a fracture in the right hip, and multiple wounds to the body caused by shattered glass.

 Due to the urgency of the situation, the patient was transferred to Bareen International Hospital where, under Dr. Oussama Chaar’s expertise and skill, two major surgeries were conducted simultaneously. These provided successful treatment to the patient’s spine following a 12-hour span of surgery. Surgeries carried out included treatment of the following: a burst unstable fracture of the second lumbar spine vertebra L2; a fracture of the right hip; pedical screw fixation between L1 to L3 with correction of the kyphosis; and a fracture of the right hip. The surgery’s success helped to prevent inevitable physical impairment to the young man. Consultant orthopedic surgeon at Bareen International Hospital, Dr. Oussama Chaar, stated that the patient’s health status is currently stable, but that he has been kept in the hospital in order to complete all necessary stages of required treatment. Dr. Chaar admitted the patient to hospital following a bloody effusion in the lungs and laceration of the spleen, which required the conduction of multiple surgeries, after which the patient was bed-ridden in a corset for 13 days, unable to move, walk, or sit. The doctor explained that the patient had to immediately undergo two simultaneous and urgent major surgeries, which included a pedical screw and plate fixation of the affected spine vertebrae, pelvic and right hip. The patient was then transferred into intensive care the same day, with close surveillance conducted until his condition stabilised. He was able to make his first steps and walk again the next day. Dr. Chaar confirmed that the patient did not require any blood transfusion during the operation, which lasted six hours straight, and this fact contributed to the success of the surgeries.